Friday 28 October 2016

Post Egg Retrieval Day

Well we had our egg retrieval done.  I don't think that anything can prepare you for that.  It all started out fun and games.  Ryan went and did his thing in the room, where he spilled soap all over the floor which of course looked ridiculous in that little room.



After Ryan was done we went and sat in the recovery area where I changed into a lovely teal wrap skirt.  I should have worn socks and shoes, but silly me wore slip on shoes.  The nurses at Olive were amazing and gave me some nice booties to put on my freezing bare feet.  Ryan also got a pair to wear over his sneakers.  I had a great team of nurses.  Gerry, Jennifer, and Ruby are amazing.  All of the nurses and support staff at Olive are amazing.

I was given Ativan which I have never had in my life and then they went to do my hand IV.  Since I have the coldest hands known to man, at least Ryan is always saying that they couldn't do the IV in my hands.  I tried running them under cold water and putting them under a heating pad and still they couldn't get a good vein.  So instead they decided to use the vein in my arm where you would normally take blood.

So they stuck the IV in and then about 2 minutes after it was in I felt really weird and I said that I didn't feel well.  That turned into my blood pressure dropping to 70/30 and I felt completely out of control.  I had a ringing in my ears, and felt like I was fading out and that I couldn't stop it.  They reclined my chair and put a cold compress on my head but it still wasn't enough.  They fetched me some arrowroot biscuits.  However in the mean time Ryan got some sort of sympathy pains for what I was going though and they had to take him out of the room as he was all sweaty and ready to pass out.  If this happens during egg retrieval then child birth should be a hoot.

By this point Dr. Yuzpe had come out to see what the delay was as we are now running about 20 minutes behind.  He then turned to Ryan and said "what is his problem?".  One of the nurses started talking about the chance that Ryan won't be able to come into the procedure room if he cannot even handle what had just happened.  At this point that is not even an option.  He has missed so much and there is no way that I am doing this alone.  Ryan assured them that he would be ok in there.  Then they started my fentanyl drip and things seemed to be improving.  My blood pressure was up to 90/50 which is still really low, but my normal blood pressure sits lower than normal.   We waited for my blood pressure to come up a bit more, but time was running out.  Because of when I took my trigger shots (picture below), we needed to get this done.  So into the procedure room we went.




I got onto the procedure table which is like a medical examination table but with bigger stirrups that move a lot more.  They got me into position and then Dr. Yuzpe put some freezing up into my vaginal wall.  Once that fun experience was done and the fentanyl had seemed to kick in then we were good to go.  Dr. Yuzpe inserted the hollow needle into my vaginal wall that sucks all of the follicles out.  Nothing can prepare you for this.  Fentanyl, googling, Ryan holding your hand and stroking your forehead, nothing.  There is so much pain and pressure all at the same time.  To keep myself focused I am laying there counting backwards from 200.  I don't know why but counting backwards has always calmed me down, that and singing the alphabet backwards.  After one of the most painful experiences of my life was over I got to waddle back to recovery where I had to sit until I could go pee....that was painful.


Once that happened I could finally go home where it was time for couch, movies, and resting.  Of course I feel asleep 10 minutes into Dirty Dancing which for some reason Ryan kept watching on his own.  I feel it is his total guilty pleasure movie, and that he practices the moves when I am not around.

They let us know before me left that they got 27 follicles which is great, I am going to miss my little Puregon pen, but I am so glad that this part of the ordeal is over.


No comments:

Post a Comment